Why we all need a big bed;
- The average adult grows in the night by as much as two centimetres. During the day the spine is compressed; at night it is given the chance to straighten and recover.
- Ergonomic studies show that couples sleep better in a bigger bed, before trials only 15% said they would buy a larger than standard bed. After the trial 50% said they would.
- By the time we are 50 we'll each have spent some 16 years in bed. So, if you are going to spend all that time there, why not make the most of it?
- 16 other countries have bigger average bed sizes than Britain. Top of the league are Belgium, Greece, Holland, Iceland, Finland and Switzerland where most people sleep in a roomy 160cm by 200cm bed. By contrast in the UK we still have to put up with an average bed size of 135cm by 190cm.
- The average person tosses and turns some 60 to 70 times a night, so you want to put as much space between you and your partner as possible to reduce the disturbance factor.
- A standard double bed (135cm/4ft 6in) gives each person just 2ft 3in of space, less than a baby in a cot.
This is an extract from "A DOZEN REASONS WHY YOU NEED A BIGGER BED" by The Sleep Council, The Sleep Council is a non-profit organisation, limited by guarantee and funded by bed manufacturers, retailers and suppliers. This article and links to other sleeping and bed related web sites can be found on our directory page.